How Do I Register a Song where I Control 100% of the Publishing But Am Not the Only Writer?

This is important to know when registering your songs.

You should always register songs based on the writer's share, and not the publishing as that's how collection societies accept registrations. So if you want to collect 100% of the publishing for a work you do not control 100% of the copyright for , you will need to register that writer as a client writer (rather than an outside writer) that way we can inform your Performing Rights Organization (PRO) that your co-writer has given you the right to collect their publishing for them (while they still can get their writers share directly from the PRO). Lastly, please note that in order to collect the publishing share of royalties for your co-writers you will need to be able to provide proof of agreement as the writer would need to sign the Letter of Direction within your account.


Thanks for reading. Please rate the article below.

Want to keep up with Songtrust for frequent music and publishing updates?

Follow us @songtrust 
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Visit the Songtrust Blog