Can I Join Songtrust If I’m Not Affiliated With ASCAP, BMI or SESAC?

We’re happy to walk you through this important process.

Songtrust acts as your publishing administrator. It’s meant to complement your Performing Rights Organization (PRO), not replace it. 

Songtrust makes affiliating with a PRO easy for new members. Upon signup, you will be asked to choose from the following options: BMI or ASCAP if you’re a U.S. citizen/resident or IMRO if you're outside of the U.S.

If you are a foreign citizen interested in affiliating with a U.S. PRO, you will need to do so directly over at ASCAP or BMI. Once you are affiliated as a foreign writer, you will receive an IPI number. Contact support to notify us of your IPI, complete your online registration form, and we’ll handle the rest. All affiliation fees incurred during this process are included in your plan. Check out this video for more details.

Once you’re a Songtrust client, your PRO will send the publisher’s share of any performance royalties to us. We combine this with any other royalties (e.g., mechanicals) and distribute everything in one payment (minus our 15% cut).

Note: the writer’s share of public performance royalties will always be sent to you directly by your PRO.

Want to keep up with Songtrust for frequent music and publishing updates?

Follow us @songtrust 
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Visit the Songtrust Blog