Can I Still Join Songtrust If I Don’t Have a Valid Social Security Number?

Anyone can sign up with Songtrust.

Songtrust represents songwriters all over the globe; you do not need a Social Security number (SSN) or U.S. citizenship to join. 

If you are not a U.S. resident, you should complete a W-8 tax form instead of the W-9

To do this within Songtrust’s dashboard, select the “tax documentation” step listed within your account completion checklist. There will be a gray box asking if you are “not from the U.S.” on the right-hand side of the screen. 

Songtrust must have a proper tax form, including a tax identification number, on file to release your royalty payments. We are bound by law to require this documentation, as any income generated in the United States can be taxed by the U.S. government.

Please fill out your W-8 or W-9 form to the best of your ability. If you need additional assistance, we recommend searching the official IRS website or asking a tax professional for advice. 

Thanks for reading. Please rate the article below.

Want to keep up with Songtrust for frequent music and publishing updates?

Follow us @songtrust 
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Visit the Songtrust Blog