How Do I Copyright My Song?

The process is quite simple, really.

According to U.S. Copyright Law, you own a piece of intellectual property once it is completed and fixed in some tangible form (like a recorded demo or jotted-down lyrics).

The Copyright Office does not provide the copyright itself; it issues a certificate of your copyright’s registration. This is a formal document directly from the Copyright Office, certifying that you are the owner of a work and they have a record of said ownership on file at the Library of Congress.

Some people prefer to register their works as a way to prove their rights in a case of potential copyright infringement. Songtrust does not register your works with the U.S. Copyright Office, as it is not required in order to collect your publishing royalties. 

However, you can do this on your own by completing the copyright forms available from the U.S. Copyright Office and including a copy of your work in a tangible medium.

Pro Tip: The policy on copyright law is different in every territory. You should always check your local laws and consult a legal professional if you are unsure of anything. 

You can learn more about copyright law in the following territories below: 

United States

European Union




Thanks for reading. Please rate the article below.

Want to keep up with Songtrust for frequent music and publishing updates?

Follow us @songtrust 
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Visit the Songtrust Blog