How Do I Collect Royalties When My Song is Released on an Album By Someone Else?

The people releasing your music will owe you mechanical royalties.

If your song is manufactured and sold by a third-party (e.g. someone covered your song), you are entitled to a mechanical royalty. This will be paid to you by the third-party releasing the album for sale – normally a record label or artist.

Then, as uses occur, mechanical collection societies, such as the Harry Fox Agency, will collect income and distribute it to Songtrust as your Publishing Administrator.

Songtrust uses the Harry Fox Agency in the US and the local societies of foreign territories to obtain mechanical licenses for our clients. 


Thanks for reading. Please rate the article below.

Want to keep up with Songtrust for frequent music and publishing updates?

Follow us @songtrust 
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Visit the Songtrust Blog