Help & FAQ

What are public performance royalties?

Last Updated: Jan 14, 2013 12:28PM EST

When you write an original song, one of your exclusive rights as the copyright holder is the right to perform your composition in public.

If someone wants to use your composition for commercial use, they require a license to do so. Obviously, it's not possible for every TV / radio station, restaurant, live venue, jukebox, etc. to contact you for each use of your song. Instead, these businesses pay blanket licenses to Performing Rights Organization (P.R.Os), who then redistribute those license fees to their member songwriters.

To collect these performance royalties, you must affiliate and register songs with a P.R.O. In the US, there are three P.R.Os – ASCAP, BMI, and SESAC.

Songtrust can affiliate you with a P.R.O. and will ensure that your songs are professionally registered for the collection of performance royalties.

Be sure to rate this answer below. Not what you were hoping for? Email us:

Collect your royalties worldwide!
Join Now

About Us

  • Songtrust gives music makers the easiest way to get paid publishing royalties from the US and abroad.

    We help bands and songwriters register their songs with agencies around the world to collect royalties generated from their songs being played on-air, online, on TV and many other places.

Contact Us

  • Post a Public Question
  • Email Us

Copyright © 2013 Songtrust. All rights reserved. Songtrust and the microphone logo are registered trademarks of ST Music LLC.